Saturday, January 10, 2009

Company... HASAY Week 1

This week has been a trial of will power and patience. Many of you out there have seen that we (in the Northwest) have had some pretty terrible weather in the last month. First, we got ten million feet of snow, then it got windy and drifted the snow into drifts ass high. Then the snow started to melt and we thought we were golden.

We were wrong.

It decided to go from 30 degrees as the high to 51 degrees and a snow level of 6,000 feet in a matter of two days. ALL of the snow in the mountains melted and sent it down our rivers. Our river, in particular, was bad. Our last really bad flood happened in 1990. All of our downtown was flooded... even the fire hall had knee deep water inside. (I live in a valley. So, when it floods, most of the valley floor becomes flooded as well as the houses, businesses, and schools that are located on the valley floor.)

I happen to be a smart house buyer and decided to buy a house on one of the sides of our valley.

Out of the flood plain.

On purpose.

As I left for school on Wednesday morning, I called my sister (who lives on the valley floor, across the street from the river, no less) and told her where our hide-a-key was just in case they needed to have a dry place to be. She was already putting things in her upstairs bedroom that were not replaceable and said that her family would probably be there.

When I got home, not only were my sister, her three kids, husband, cat and dog there, but my 80 year old grandparents were there, too. I don't mind my sister and her kids at all. But, my grandparents? Man... I really thought that I might fall off the wagon only two days after my introduction to HASAY. (To get a good impression of my grandparents, read here.)

My grandma is a baker. She is also a survivor of a major heart attack and two bypass surgeries. According to grandma, she can't have this, she can't have that. But she eats everything in sight an then has the balls to complain that it was too salty or had too much fat. She also gossips about everyone. On Thursday when I got home from work, she was sitting on the couch talking to my sister, and when I walked into the room, I heard her say, "I'll tell you the rest later." I thought that she was telling my sister that my uncle had hit our fence and our flat deck trailer while trying to park my grandparents RV in our driveway. But, no. I found out later from my sister that she was saying that the receptionist at her dental office (who is a distant family friend) felt sorry for me because I so DESPERATELY wanted to have kids and couldn't.

WTF??????

First of all, if I DID desperately want kids and couldn't have them, why would I tell a distant family friend (who I haven't seen or talked to in probably 10 years) this information??? And second of all, it's nobody's business why I don't have kids. (I am a teacher. I have my fill. On a daily basis. And, you can't ride a motorcycle when you're pregnant.)

My grandma is lying. I seriously can't believe it. She is making up stories. I don't know why she is making these things up. I don't know why she doesn't just ask. But, the reason she didn't want to talk about it in front of me is because she knew I'd call her on it because she wasn't telling the truth. But she made sure that I heard her tell my sister that she'd "tell her the rest later".

Do you see where I'm going with this???

To make matters worse, my sister and her husband are AMAZING cooks. Ryan can cook something from flour, a piece of chicken and some ketchup. Seriously. He is the MacGuyiver of cooking. But, he doesn't necessarily look out for the low fat, low sugar, kinds of things that we normally eat at our house.

So, needless to say, I'm stressed about this. I'm thinking that there is going to be all this food and desserts sitting around. I'm panicking. Plus the stress of dealing with my 80 year old grandparents and my two nieces who are five and four.

Because when I'm stressed, I EAT!!!!

When I got home Friday, my house was quiet and clean. No more house guests. My sister and her family have gone to live at my parent's house, who only got two inches of water in their rec-room. Plus, they have more room than we do! My sister had 2 1/2 FEET of water in her house. They just had their house completely re-done in 2006 after the last big flood event. This time they had a foot and a half more of water so the damage is more extensive.

But, despite all the grief I've had this week, I'm happy to report that I went and weighed in at Weight Watchers this morning and lost 1.4 pounds. I only got to go to the gym twice this week because of the flooding and our gym was under water.

So there it is. HASAY Week 1.

4 comments:

Keely said...

You could have gone for a swim.

I'm so totally KIDDING.

Nice work though! It's hard to stay on track when you're stressed!

Laufa said...

A loss is a loss - in weight that is - WOOHOO!
Your Grandma might be talking about you not having kids and seeing you work around kids, thinks you want kids and is just coming up with things in her own head. A lot of older people think everyone wants or needs kids right after they get married. You could just talk to her.

Casey said...

I'm so impressed that you LOST weight while you were under all of that stress. I'm a stress-eater two so my first step would have been to make sure McDonalds wasn't under water and then proceed to frequent it every chance I got. Good work on your first week!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the weight loss! I probably would have gained twice what you lost with all that stress!