Sunday, June 8, 2008

Twin Falls Hiking

Went on a hike yesterday morning with two girlfriends. I was at first a little apprehensive about it because we ALL know how much I like HIKING. It totally floors me that I can spend SO much time in the gym on the dang treadmill and not be able to climb a stupid hill when hiking. It's unreal what an awful feeling it is to be trying to climb the trail and have two old ladies pass you. I said OLD. THEY WERE!
But, I took some cool photos with my camera phone to show how beautiful the trail was...



This is a picture of a cool tree that had ferns growing off the side of it. The fern leaves were yellow, red and green. I have never seen anything like it!


This is the falls that you hike to on the trail. It was ROARING yesterday. All the snow is melting so the river is just moving.



And this was a pretty little creek that was meandering it's way down the hillside down to the river.

WOW. I seriously can't believe that my camera phone took these pictures... I didn't think they'd turn out, but, they are better than I thought.

The hiking thing might become a permanent fixture of my weekend. Last night my sister expressed interest in doing the hike the next day. I was all, "Yeah, I don't think that my body will be very happy with me if I hike that trail again so soon." I don't think she was very happy with me but I said that I would be willing to go next weekend with her if she still wanted to. (As long as she didn't complain about my constant whining and crying the entire trip up to the falls.)

Speaking of which, I can't believe that my friends didn't throw my ass over the edge a few times because I was complaining so much. Yesterday was one of the local Montessori school's father/child hike day so there were a ton of dads and kids on the trail. Most of the kids were doing a GREAT job of hiking the trail and not whining to be picked up and carried. There were a few, however, who made good posting material.

We met a father/son combination on a switch back of the trail. Obviously they had been talking (translation: arguing) about something because the kid came whipping around the switch back, teeth bared, yelling though his clenched teeth, "MY TEETH AREN'T YELLOW!"

WOW! We just started laughing. His dad was all," OK, OK, you teeth aren't yellow."

Then there was the peanut of a little girl who was sobbing hysterically that she wanted daddy to pick her up. Dad was having no part of that because he just kept telling her, "You are doing fine. Keep going. You're doing great!"

"But I want you to pick me up! Pleeeeeeeaaaaasssseee?????"

We went around our switch back and could only hear the whining in the distance.

No comments: