Friday, September 19, 2008

Snot Rockets and Why Kleenex Was Invented

Kids by nature are nose pickers. Heck, some adults are STILL nose pickers.

Me? I find it nasty and gross. It makes my skin crawl to see people picking their noses in public like it's no big deal.

Ugh.

What I REALLY enjoy is when the kids who are "savvy pickers" try to hide their picking adventure by using their other hand to cover up the one that is doing the damage. Like, "YOU CAN'T SEE ME PICKING MY NOSE BECAUSE I AM COVERING IT UP WITH MY OTHER HAND! THERE IS NO NOSE PICKING GOING ON HERE!"

Today we are having the "Kleenex talk". My fourth graders have not figured out why Kleenex was invented and that when you pick your nose with your finger and touch everything in the classroom, you get GERMS everywhere. Which makes the teacher sick. And crabby. And nauseous.

So I tell them to please use the Kleenex. We have probably seventy-five thousand boxes in here and hand sanitizer. Fingers are forbidden. I told them how Ed blows snot rockets when we are camping or out working in the yard. They totally grossed out at that. And I said, "What is the difference between blowing snot rockets and using your fingers to get the snot out?"

I think they got my point.

No comments: