Monday, September 22, 2008

Babies, Babies, Babies

I went this weekend to Idaho to attend my friend's baby shower. I haven't seen my friend since last February. FEBRUARY!?!?!?!?!? Holy cow, it's been THAT long. Over six months.

It was a great weekend and it was SO good to see my friend and her husband. When we spent the weekend with them in February, she was just barely pregnant. Not showing, but feeling crappy. When she came and found me in the baggage claim area of the airport Friday night, I was totally flabbergasted! I mean, I knew she was pregnant. I knew her tummy was going to get big. I mean, duh! But I was so surprised how fast it seemed to happen. I'm sure that it didn't for her, but, remember the over six months part? Yeah. Seemed like yesterday I saw her last. Wasn't expecting the tummy!

She looked awesome. And so HAPPY.

Her baby shower was slated for 2:00 the next afternoon so we had a list of things we needed to do before her mom came at noon. One was to melt candy bars in diapers for one of the games. It was totally gross opening diapers with melted candy bars in them and try to guess what candy bar was in which diaper. We tested it out on her hubby and HE GOT EVERY SINGLE ONE CORRECT. We said he knew his "shit". He just said he was a connoisseur of candy bars.

Now to the party... My friend's mom is the Martha Stewart of Idaho. Seriously. Here's what she did...
1. Hand made all of the invitations for the party.
2. Hand made six different jungle animals that were put on straw and then inserted into cupcakes that looked like an African Savannah.
3. Made a mobile out of a large poster tube (painted yellow with green ribbon striping it), a yellow and green umbrella and blow up African animals.
4. Hand stamped labels for chocolates that went into boxes that were in boxes that were wrapped in African animal paper.
5. Researched celebrities and their babies for a matching game.
6. Arranged all of the food
7. Helped set everything up
8. Ran all of the games

I couldn't believe the amount of work that her mom put into this party. It was wonderful, and beautiful and special.

Seventeen people attended the party and she received many great gifts. That night her hubby and I put together the swing. The next day she and I put together the mobile for the crib, the pack-n-play, packed the diaper bag, took the tags off the clothes that little man will be wearing right away, unpacked the baby monitor, put on the new switch plate and night light, and went to Babies r Us to return some duplicate gifts and purchase things that were needed.

The weekend went by so fast that I couldn't believe that it was actually time to head to the airport.

I got a call tonight from her asking if I had any pictures of the buffet table. I didn't. That was the only picture I DIDN'T get. She also said that she felt funny all day today.

Maybe little man will make an appearance sooner than she thinks!

No comments: