Monday, March 24, 2008

A Few Very Odd Days

The past few days have been kind of strange. It all started on Thursday when I took the day off of work to go to a one year rememberance for the death of a friend. His wife and kids had an amazing head stone made that completely embraced every part of his life. She had butterflies for everyone to let free after the unveiling of the headstone. Many people went back to their house to visit, have some food and be company for her and the boys. I found myself thinking about how strange it was that it's been a year since he was killed. It doesn't seem like it's been that long and I often wonder how she lives a day to day life without him. The change is so permanent and drastic. I don't know if I'd be able to do it.

After the memorial, Ed and I went to a "thank God my report cards are done!" party at my friend Tina's house. We were feeling a little sad and were looking forward to a time that we could just hang out and have a beer or two. What I didn't anticipate, was the wonderful time that we had! Tina said it best in her post: Last night, I walked into my kitchen and as I shut my eyes against the crumbs on the floor, glasses everywhere, and the empty wine bottles on the counter, I was able to then open them and see many people I work with enjoying each other's company, conversation, food, the glasses full of wine and smiling. That is what the entire evening was like! People really enjoying each other's company eating great food and drinking wonderful beverages. Ed and I didn't leave until 10:00 when we'd originally agreed upon 8:30 or 9:00. I have to say, that I had a marvelous time AND there was no drama because Tina had smartly remembered to NOT buy spray whipping cream!

Friday was a waiver day at school, so no kids, but, it was a great day working with our grade level team. Ed and I spent the evening home and I have to say that I was kind of glad because I just needed some down time.

Saturday and Sunday were spent cleaning house and getting ready for Easter, which for us isn't a really big deal since we have no kids. But, I got our bedroom and bathroom spic-n- span, with a session of cleaning the grout on the bathroom floor as well. We went to church with Ed's parents Sunday morning at a church we don't belong to and actually haven't been to in probably 10 years. Ed's parents used to go there, but, since they stopped, the church has changed names and pastors. When we got into the car Ed said to me, "now I remember why I don't like going to church!" This church isn't your normal type of church. It's the kind where people are yelling out Amen! and Hallelujah! and spend most of the service with hands outstretched searching for the glory of God, I guess. Not to mention the fashion show that we were subjected to at this church. I think that I saw more SHORT dresses and skirts than I have ever seen in any club Easter morning at church. There was one woman wearing a thigh length red coat with a skirt that short underneath. Ed pointed her out to me and asked if I thought that was very appropriate for church. I said that I didn't think that half the outfits I saw the women wearing were appropriate for church! I was absolutely flabbergasted. If a high school student showed up to school wearing some of those outfits, they would be asked to go home and change.

After church, Ed and I had to "divide and conquer". His mom planned her dinner 2 hours before my mom's dinner so he just dropped me off at their house on the way up to his parent's house. I love doing things with my parents. There's no agenda, everything is completely informal and there is no expectations. I'm not saying that it's the opposite with Ed's parents, but, it is more formal than I'm used to. I was sad that Ed and I didn't get to spend Easter together... But for a lot of the holidays, this is what it's like. "Divide and Conquer." I guess because we don't have kids, we are the easy ones to ask to do this. I hope that it's not expected and I hope it's appreciated.

Sometimes I feel a little resentful that our tiny family doesn't seem as important as the rest.

No comments: