Sunday, August 10, 2008

Letter to Honeybunch

Dear Honeybunch,

I wanted you to know how much I appreciate you. So, I decided to blog a letter to you. I hope that sometime you read it. :-)

I have known you since high school... Well, I've known who you are since high school. You were two years behind me in my sister's class. We didn't associate because you were in my sister's group of friends... the "cool" group. My sister wouldn't allow me near her friends with a ten-foot pole because I wasn't the status she was. It was OK... I had my own friends and my own stuff going on and didn't need to be friends with my sister's friends.

We didn't become better friends until recently when Ed and I started hanging out with Bart and Jolene and then becoming better friends with you and your better half. We started talking about lots of different things... motorcycles, life, jobs, better halves, pets, hobbies... everything. We started seeing each other at barbecues, parties and our favorite local hang out, Smokey Joe's. Did you know that they changed the name to "Smokey Joe's Bar and Grill"?? I saw that on the menu last night when we were there and got a huge giggle from that. Bar and Grill???? Whatever. We both know what happened in the FRYER at Smokey Joe's "Bar and Grill".

When Ed got the GSXR, I decided to get my endorsement and ride the CBR. We talked a lot about the class and what we learned because you took the same class. When I passed the class, you were the first to know, besides Ed. I was so nervous to ride the CBR. It was much bigger than the little Rebel 250 that I took my test on. But, you said to not worry, that it would just take some practice. Finally, Ed thought it would be OK to go on a ride with the "big boys". I'd only ridden with Ed until then. You still had your CBR 900RR then and we went on a ride with Jason and Ed. Jason took us to his work site on the Samammish Plateau. You gave me some really good advice that day. Ride your own ride. You said on the Falls Hill that you didn't ride fast down like Jason and Ed because you were practicing being smooth. Such good advice. Ed gets mad at me because I am so poky on the TL, but, I just don't feel safe riding as fast as he does on surface streets. Come to think of it, I think that was the only motorcycle ride we've been on together. You always have chores or softball going on. Or, you are always washing your car... I think that you have the cleanest car in town. I wish we rode more together, but, now that you are married, you probably have more chores and such to do.

When Shane died, I didn't know what to even say to you. What do you say to someone when a loved one has died? Anything I thought of saying sounded so trite and I knew it wouldn't make him come back and there was no way it was going to make you feel better. I mean, I knew Shane, through Leah and you and Ed... and we'd emailed a few times to get in on the campaign to make you buy your TL. But I didn't "know" him. Not like you did. I felt, and still feel like, I am/was intruding that whole piece of your life. In Zoe's life. In every one's life who was so close to him. I can't even believe he's gone and my stomach hurts when I think about it. I can't get my mind wrapped around the finality of it. I can't even imagine what you have to endure on a daily basis.

I remember when you and Angie came back from the Dominican Republic. We met y'all up at the Mexican restaurant with your sister, Colleen, and Zach and you announced that you'd asked Angie to marry you. I couldn't believe it!!! I cried! And I usually don't cry at those things! Your wedding was beautiful. You and Angie did an amazing job planning the whole thing and it came off without a hitch. Ed and I had a great time dancing and catching up with people that we haven't seen in awhile. Your sister and I sat together for a long time and talked just as we did on Angie's bachelorette party. I miss your sister. You need to have her out some more!

So, my Honeybunch, a whole post just for you. I love your smile, your "understated-ness", your laugh and your quirky sense of humor. I especially love it when you get started laughing and you can't stop. It makes me giggle just thinking about it.

I appreciate you.

Love,
Kitten

No comments: