Saturday, May 17, 2008

I Am My Mother's Daughter

Yesterday at lunch we decided to go to Cyrus O'Leary's to eat. It's a short distance to the restaurant from the convention center so we walked when we were dismissed. We were commenting on what a beautiful day it was and Mark and I were lamenting the fact that neither of us had our motorcycles.

The city of Spokane has a huge park near the convention center and as we skirted the outside edge of it, Tina commented that she wanted to ride the merry-go-round. We all looked at the carousel and also noticed that they had a GIANT Radio Flyer wagon all wrapped in plastic. They were painting it so they had it all wrapped up to keep the smell down and the paint from flying everywhere.

So, because I was watching the damn Radio Flyer, I didn't see the little, tiny hole (translation: BIG GIANT CRATER) in the sidewalk and being my mother's daughter, I stepped in it. What happened next is MY interpretation of the event:

It's a beautiful sunny day in Spokane. A TL goes by and I mention it to Mark. Hey, look! There's giant Radio Flyer. Holy Crap! My shoe is sideways on my foot. Oh my God. I think I tripped! I'm falling down. Shit. Everyone is going to see this. Don't fall down. DON'T FALL DOWN! Crap. I'm going down. I better sit sideways so that I don't totally screw up my knee. Oh shit. People are going to wonder what's wrong with that big fat lady. Is she having a fit of some kind? Ouch my hand just scraped the pavement. Get up. Get up right now. RIGHT NOW!!! Maybe no one saw you. Right. You're sitting on Tina's foot. Get up FAST!!!

And this all happened in 1.7 seconds. Seriously. Everyone said it looked like it happened in slow motion but it felt like it happened really fast. One minute I was on my feet talking about a damn Radio Flyer and the next minute I was trying to save face from my genetics.

I kept on walking like it was no big deal. Everyone kept asking if I was OK. Of course I said that I was fine. And I was. Just a little bruised ego. Nothing worse for the wear. Or so I thought. We ate lunch and on our walk back I realized that my foot really did hurt. And by the end of the day it was really swollen and starting to bruise.

It still hurts this morning but if I keep my tennis shoes on, it doesn't hurt as much. I texted Ed to check in and he texted back wondering if I could wait until Monday to go and see Dr. Doerfler. I don't think it's broken. I wouldn't be able to get my shoe on if it was and it feels better when I rub it. I'm sure that I just twisted it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't mean to laugh. But it is funny. Well, everything is funny today, but you know what I mean.

Tiffany said...

I don't mean to laugh either, but that was awesome.

Hope your foot is feeling better soon. :)