Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Meeting Boston John

Saturday night Ed and I went out to dinner with Tina and Jasen and Tiff and Boston John. We went to this really great Greek restaurant in Kent called Spiros. Really wonderful food. I was a Greek food virgin so it was fun to see what I liked. Greek food uses a lot of lamb in their food and I am one WHO CANNOT EAT LAMB for any reason, shape or form. To me, it's like eating green peppers or cooked spinach.

JUST ICK!

But the night wasn't really about me being a Greek food virgin. It was about Tiff's friends meeting Boston John. It was John's first trip to the west coast and we were sure excited to meet him. John was treated to the usual bleak Seattle weather on his arrival. He was even treated to a good measure of snow, hail, sun breaks ( he got a good laugh out of what we call "sun breaks"! Apparently they don't have them in Massachusetts!) and the general misery we call weather here.

As we waited for Tina and Jase to arrive, Tiffany and John took turns telling us about their adventurous day.Tiffany and Binta had taken John to see all of the Seattle hot spots: the Troll, the Space Needle, Westlake Center, the Monorail, Pike Place Market... Tiffany shared the pictures they'd taken on her camera.

After Tina and Jase arrived, we ordered our food and got down to the nitty -gritty of getting to know Boston John. I was sure, knowing how most of our conversations go, that we would probably scare the crap out of Boston John and he would never want to return, hang out or even think about Tiffany's friends ever again.

He was such a good sport.

And then... the belly dancing started. We texted Mark to let him know that I was actually dancing and that Ed had talked me into it, but, he didn't believe us. We also told him that there was $72 on the table that they had put down as a bet to get me to do it. He still didn't believe us. Sigh...

As if the belly dancing wasn't uncomfortable enough, the people at the table behind us started stuffing dollar bills into the woman's "top" and skirt. Holy crap! It was like a bachelor party! Then the guy at the table tried to dry hump her all the while trying to stuff more money into her "top" as she was desperately trying to get away from him. I felt kind of bad for her, but, she was the belly dancer...

Sometimes I worry a little about how people will perceive Ed... He's SUPER smart (it's a little scary sometimes) and sometimes our friends tease him about it (he gets charged at Sand Camp for using words that have more than 3 syllables, stuff like that....). But I feel like he found a kindred spirit in John. They talked for a long time about satellites and lasers and all kinds of science stuff that most of the general public knows nothing about. All the way home, he kept saying, I really liked John! And, he and Jasen had a great discussion about motorcycles (another loved past time of Ed's) and he said on the way home that he'd like to go riding with him someday.

Of course the conversation went sideways to adult entertainment and Ed mooning the satellites, but John hung in there and didn't even act like he was disgusted with our presence, asking Tiff when they could get the hell out of there.

I hope that Boston John comes back to visit soon. I would love to have them out for a BBQ and beers.

I hope that Boston John WANTS to come back and visit us!

We are looking forward to it very much!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,

I really enjoyed meeting you and Ed, as well as Tina & Jace. You are all cool people in my book!

I really like Seattle. It's beautiful, despite the weather. The sun breaks gave me a glimpse of how nice it can be. I kept thinking of what it would be like to do some cycling there.

I really want to come back, and would like to be dragged around Lake Washington on a float behind your boat!

Cheers!

John

Tiffany said...

I'm thrilled to hear that you both enjoyed yourselves. Thanks for being willing to put John through the "friend test" for me! We really had a GREAT time!